Wednesday, October 17, 2012

VeganMOFO: Homemade Hot Sauce





Nik and I have been wanting to make our own hot sauce for awhile now, and last time we were at the farmer's market, we grabbed one of those big baskets of mixed hot peppers to finally get on it. You can see the assortment of peppers that I had, so this recipe definitely isn't scientific. That is what I like about making homemade condiments though, you can make any sort of adjustments that you want and it will surely still turn out. This turned out a tad too hot for me, but was perfect when I pureed in an apple into half of the batch (Nik isn't a spice-wuss like me, so I kept a super-hot half-batch for him.) My favorite way to eat this so far, is to mix a little in with some Veganaise on a sammich. Mmm...

Spicy Sauce
Ingredients:

2 Sweet Peppers
25 Odd hot peppers
6 cloves garlic
1/2 medium red onion
1-2 tsp of salt
1 cup distilled vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
1 apple (optional)

Directions: Chop and puree! For a sweeter sauce, puree 1 apple with the rest of the ingredients. 

2 comments:

  1. So glad you finally made it! We should all work towards doing the things we want to do - I want to make some hot sauce soon as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIP little peppers. You were loved and admired.

    ReplyDelete